What you should be eating after a dental extraction
Your diet is very important after a tooth extraction since some foods or drinks could hurt your gums or cause complications.
These are some tasty options to include in your diet after getting a tooth pulled:
- A creamy green smoothie: green smoothies are packed with nutrients. They are a healthy option instead of sugary milkshakes or ice cream. You can find delicious recipes here
- Natural Yogurt with honey: Yogurt is great for your health, it is packed with protein and calcium. It is also a great source for probiotics. Just make sure to buy natural or greek yogurt to avoid any extra sugar on it and use a bit of honey to add the sweet in it.
- Mashed Potatoes: This is a great source of carbs when having a tooth pulled. Instead of buying the instant mashed potatoes, we recommend you to do it yourself. Check out this delicious recipe here
- Any vegetable cream or soup: This is a nutritious option, specially if you’re watching your calorie intake and don’t want to eat ice cream all day long.
- Scrambled eggs with cheese: This dish is perfect because it’s soft and will keep you satisfied for long.
- Milkshakes: You can turn a regular milkshake into a healthy milkshake. Take a look at these recipes
- Oatmeal. This is a super food, we should be eating it everyday even if we didn’t have our teeth pulled out. It will lower cholesterol levels, stabilize blood sugar levels, protect you from cancer and some other diseases. You can cook it with fruit and add a teaspoon of peanut butter for a complete breakfast.
- Applesauce. Applesauce is a great dessert or snack option, it is also packed with nutrients, specially vitamin C.
- Noodle Soup. Soup is always a great choice when having our teeth pulled, but remember all of the ingredients have to be finely chopped ad soft.
- Fruit sorbet. This will be a great option for dessert or snack specially if it’s summer. Instead of buying it, try to do it yourself to take advantage of all of the fruit’s nutrients. See some recipes here
Remember to eat carefully for at least 5 days, avoid drinking alcohol and of course, smoking.
You can always give us a call for any question,
Dr Bryan Brown
DDS, Los Algodones Dental Care